If you want to make your videos less boring you need to stop telling people what you know and start showing them who you are
There is this pattern I see in a lot of videos.
It goes a bit like this:
- a problem is set up – “you’re having difficulty with this, or maybe you’re stuck with that”
- the expert introduces themselves – and says why they are qualified to solve that problem
- then they say – “I’m not going to give you my top five tips in how to fix it that issue”
- then there’s some graphics – a little video sting with a bit music in it
- and we’re into the bulk of the video – where the experts gives you lots of information that you can learn from
Now there’s nothing wrong with that type of video, they can be very informative… It’s just that they’re a bit boring. They come across as preachy, like you’re be told what to do and the speaker “knows better”. These videos can come across as patronising and yes, people might learn from them, but what they won’t do is connect with you.
If you want to connect with your tribe you have to do something completely different. You have to stop telling people what they need to do. Instead you need to show them how your knowledge and your wisdom, the philosophy that you live by, works in your life.
So how do you make videos that connect with your tribe?
I recently worked with this effortless living coach and she practices effortless living which means “how to live a life that is easy”.
One of the days I was with her she was having a difficult day, so that was the perfect moment to film her, to catch her when things were going wrong so that everyone could see how she managed to turn that difficulty around.
We where with her on that journey and she was being real and authentic. She wasn’t telling anybody what they should or should not do, she was just living her message and we were witnessing it.
If you truly want to connect rather than preach:
- you’ve got to be willing to be vulnerable
- you’ve got to be willing to be open
- you’ve got to be willing to show you good sides and your bad sides
Otherwise people could think everything your saying is made up, it is not, true is not real, and they will not get that heart connection with you.
Now I’ve been guilt making those boring kind of videos, the ones with bumpers and stings and “these are my top tips on”… and now I’m trying something different and I’ll let you know in a few months time which ones work the best which ones draw in more people.
D’you know what? I think I already know which ones will work better.
If you’ve found this post useful please subscribe to my YouTube channel, share it using the social media buttons or leave a comment below.